Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mystery Patterns


Each morning after breakfast students go to the carpet and find their name on the carpet to answer their quetion of the day. Throughout the year the question of the day has changed from an actually sentence question to a numeral match to a mystery pattern. The type of question is varied and this is a way for me to refresh skills that the students have learned in the previous days or weeks so its fresh in their mind for the day.

Introducing patterns has always been a difficult area for me. I feel like a pattern is just one of those things you know and i myself cant remember how i learned. So I decided to introduce patterns as what they are not first. We introduced a line of all girls, a row of all circles, a line of red blocks. I then showed them how to change these to AB patterns reminding them that nothing the same should be touching. This seemed to help give them a basic understanding. Each morning when they read the patterns on the mystery pattern it is also reinforcing their knowledge of shapes and because this is an independent activity provides a chance for students to help friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment